Monday, March 3, 2008

New York Experience Part 3

Sorry it has taken me so long to post the last part of our trip. So much is going on in our lives right now that it seems like life is just passing me by!

I only have time for Thursday and I didn't get all the pictures done I wanted too, but this will have to due for now.

Thursday was one of the first truly beautiful days that we spent in New York. The weather was actually nice and not raining, snowing or so windy you could hardly walk. Everything you hear about New York Weather is SO true. We decided to spend the morning in lower Manhattan again. So of course a trip to Liberty Island and Ellis Island were on the agenda. When we flew into the airport we were able to see Ms. Liberty but she still didn't looks as big and beautiful as she really was. Once our ferry neared Liberty Island I was just in awe of the color she had turned with age. Did you know that it took 30 years for her to become green? I just wonder what it was like to see her in her original copper state. We didn't spring for the tickets to actually go up onto the observation deck at the base of the Statue of Liberty but just walking around her was enough. After we finished taking pictures and enjoying the view of the city, we headed over to Ellis Island. The history there is just amazing. We watched a short movie about the creation and history related to the island and how it was used as a gateway into America for the "lower" class citizens from other countries. Can you believe that $40.00 for a ticket was a lot of money back then? One of the things we took away from our history lesson that Mat and I both still crack up about is the fact that New York and New Jersey are still fighting over who actually owns the island. The battle has even gone before the Supreme Court to be settled, and technically has, it's just still a hot debate between the states. So if you ever have a chance to visit Ellis Island, you actually get to go to both New Jersey and New York at that stop!!!

1 comment:

miranda said...

I hope I can go sometime. It looks just amazing! I am so glad you got to go.