Monday, August 11, 2008

Good bye...you will be missed.

It all started back in 2000. Mat needed a new car, so we were able to snag a nice little deal on a 1991 Buick, Skylark. When we got her, she had this oh, so fashionable dashboard cover with Edna sewed onto it. Well it's didn't take long for us to lovingly refer to our car as Edna. She was a good car, minus the speedometer, which made trips a little hairy every once in awhile. She got Mat and I home after driving through a blizzard and other hazardous road conditions. When we were able to afford a nicer car, Janice took Edna off our hands which then meant that Elaine took Edna after Janice was through with her. Edna and Elaine always made me laugh because Edna was 2 years younger than Elaine. I don't know why but that always made me laugh.

While my sister, Elaine, Mom and Kallie were in Iowa last week, I was able to borrow Edna while my car was being fixed. It was nice to drive her again, even though I was terrified I would get pulled over because of the speedometer issue it never happened. I had to make an unexpected trip the Cheyenne Wells and Mat was out of town with work so he had the good car with him. So I braved the very hot weather and driving a 17 year old car on a very deserted highway. I was 4 miles out side of Haswell on Highway 96 when it happened. I was putting along at about 55 mph when the car just stopped accelerating. I started pushing the break pedal and saw smoke coming out of the muffler. Then a few seconds after that there was smoke coming out of the hood. I was able to get it completely pulled over before it stopped running and sat there for a few seconds. That was about the time I noticed the smoke getting thicker so I grabbed my stuff that I needed and popped open the hood to see FLAMES. That right, FLAMES. Luckily I had gotten a fountain drink when I filled up with gas and was able to pour that on the engine to put the fire out. I was able to finally get 911 on the phone tell them where I was and what happened and was rescued by a Sheriff deputy. So after awhile Edna was towed to Eads where she now rests in peace.




Pictures of Edna are courtesy of Elaine!! Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AWWW!!! That's so sad!!! There are many memories in Edna!!! I'm sure that experience was a little scary for you as well!!! So have you fallen off the face of the earth or are you just tired?? I miss talking to you!! Where are you???