Saturday, October 4, 2008

My New Toy

After so many conversations on snapshotforum with Kyle, I made the plunge and bid on a camera on Ebay. Mat didn't know I was being this brave. I bid on a Yashica Mat camera which is a 120 film camera. I'm learning so much about using film and having no meter built into it, has been interesting. The only film I've ever shot was in High school, it was on a 35mm camera but it had a built in meter. Not only is it so different than my Canon Rebel XT just because it's film, but it's a waist level view finder too! I'm so in love with it already and I can't wait till I am able to finish and develop my first roll of film!





If you want to see the endless possibilities of using film check out these sites. This one is Kyle's flickr (CLICK HERE). Kyle can do amazing things with a camera and film. I admire him and his abilities so much. This is my favorite picture of his (so far)


Above picture belongs to Kyle Smith.


This is another photographer I admire (CLICK HERE). Jonathan Canlas shoots completely with film and has some amazing personal work as well as his weddings. I found some very inspiring images on his blog and they helped me with Ryan's and Angelo's wedding.


Above picture belongs to Jonathan Canlas.

This is the picture I came a way with as a result of loving the one by Jonathan.
It's all about seeing a picture you like and putting your style to it.

1 comment:

miranda said...

how fun! It kinda looks like one from Where the heart is. Even though I would not have any idea where to start with something like that. It does look like fun, and I don't know if you have tried this, but it is kinda cool that it says -Mat on your new camera :) something that might be in your favor. If you don't mind my asking how much did you pay for it? How many pictures can you put on a roll? Do you have to develop it yourself. Just another thing to learn from you in the world of your photo life :).